Monday, October 10, 2011

Routine

rou•tine

1. A prescribed, detailed course of action to be followed regularly; a standard procedure.

I knew this would happen. I had a strong suspicion that if I stopped blogging for a few weeks, okay, a month, I would feel overwhelmed and not have a clue as to how to catch up. This statement makes me smile as I reread it because I know I sound like our lives are so busy and exciting there is just no way I can describe all we’ve been up to. NOT TRUE. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Part of the reason I’ve been such a slacker lately is that we really haven’t been up to anything exciting. Just living life. And as life goes, there are sure to be unexpected surprises and challenges along the way.

New daycare

Two new jobs

A car accident

On-going illnesses


While these surprises aren’t necessarily bad things (except the car accident!) they all managed to throw us off our routine. Two years ago I would have thought ‘no biggie’!! Change is a good thing. And at times, it is. The only main problem is change is hard on toddlers. I feel like we haven’t had a consistent routine since June.


In June I started a new job (such a blessing)

In July we left for our wonderful vacation in in Colorado. (yay!!)

In August we found out Avery's home daycare provider (who we LOVED) was going back to her corporate job.

In September Matt left DBU and started a new job all in a week.

October has left us scrambling to again find a new daycare and reorganize schedules and routines while Matt’s car is in the shop for two weeks.


We are very lucky blessed that Avery handles change fairly well. She’s always been a great sleeper and not much can throw her off that routine. But during the day, I just worry that she doesn’t feel a sense of security that comes with a consistent routine.

She spent last Monday at daycare, Tuesday at home with me, Wednesday-Friday with her Grandmother and is at our neighbor’s house today. Thankfully all of these situations are good, safe places for her to be but I know each of us does things a little differently and I worry that it is hard on her. And if I’m being honest, it’s hard on me and Matt. This change requires juggling drop-off and pick-up, leaving work early or coming in late, frantically trying to find last minute care because taking off work just isn’t an option some days.

All this to say, I am truly am grateful for where we are in life. We are so blessed with a sweet, healthy little girl, wonderful family and happy marriage, good jobs, it goes on and on. I really can’t complain. But I can be honest and say some days require lots of prayer and lots of deep breaths.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I did not know about Matt's wreck...yikes! But glad to hear about his new job!! Let me know if you need any help with Avery...seriously! I am available MWFs!

    -Kim Soto (had to log in as anonomous - it would not take my log in) ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, i didn't know about the car accident, so glad everybody is ok! Girl, let me help you out, for real! Things will get back to normal soon, yall are great parents and Avery is a lucky/blessed girl to have yall! Let me know what I can do to help you!!

    Mel Grimes

    ReplyDelete