Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Asher James

Asher James was born last Wednesday, April 4th at 9:14 pm. When I woke up Wednesday morning having a baby was the last thing on my mind. Avery was sick, I had steady contractions Monday night but they subsided and nothing since then. I should have known that my children like to make a grand entrance and catch me off guard.  I went in for my weekly OB checkup at 2:00 (with Avery in-tow) and thought we would be in and out in time to stop by Sonic for a cherry limeade during happy hour!

Instead, Mr. Asher had other plans.  My doctor checked me and completely surprised me by saying I was dilated to a 4!  She put me on the fetal monitor to watch his heart rate and count contractions for the next hour and a half.  For 90 minutes Avery and I sat in a small checkup room while I was strapped into the monitor unable to move.  It was a very long 90 minutes and when Matt finally arrived it looked like a tornado had come through.  Not long after the doctor came back in to check me again and I was already at a 6! She told us to go immediately to the hospital.  No going home, no dropping Avery off... straight to the hospital.  Thankfully Avery's favorite babysitter was able to pick her up and we were admitted to L&D by 4:30.  I had my epidural by 6:00 and was feeling great!

Matt and I laughed that we were almost bored sitting there waiting for me to be fully dilated.  I can't remember the last time we just sat around with nothing to do for a couple hours. I stayed at a 9 for awhile and the nurse decided I should go ahead and start pushing anyway. I pushed for about 15 minutes and our little guy was born just after 9:00 weighing 8lbs 5oz, and 20.5 inches long.  Everyone seemed a little shocked (myself included) that he was so big at only 37 weeks.  Thankfully I didn't go the full 40, I probably would have had a c-section!

First picture :)

After getting weighed and cleaned up a bit.

Such a precious miracle.  This little guy stole my heart within seconds.

Proud daddy!

Hi, I'm Asher!

We are so thankful to have two healthy, wonderful children.  I cannot believe how much God has blessed our little family.  We were able to go home Friday morning and other than jaundice issues, Asher is doing great! He is a good eater and sleeps well.  Avery is so excited to have a little brother, she calls him Ashers and asks about him constantly.  It is so fun to watch how excited she gets when she holds him or gets to help put his blanket on.  I love my little family so much there are times I think my heart may burst.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet little face!! Hope his bili levels went down. Love to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete