Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Why I'm the Lucky One - Happy Seven Years!


Matt and I met almost 10 years ago.  We were both freshmen in college and lived in the same dorm.  He was a basketball player on a full-ride scholarship and I was immediately attracted to the 6’7” blue-eyed Texan.  As luck would have it, we even had a class together! A 400-student freshman seminar class. I didn’t think he knew I was alive.  Sometimes it’s good to be wrong.  A few weeks into the class he came up to my dorm room one night needing “help” in the class.  Sadly I was out with friends and missed seeing him.  I went down to his room the next day to talk to him but he was out.  We never talked in the dorms again. 

Fast forward a year and a half and my roommate was dating his.  They were a very volatile couple who often had huge blowout screaming fights.  The one night I tagged along with her at his house they had one of these fights and left Matt and I sitting alone in his living room for almost an hour. We immediately hit it off and the rest is history… we had both just broken up with our significant others and it didn’t take us long to admit our mutual crushes freshman year in the dorm.  Honestly, he was too shy and I was too wild and it probably would have never worked if we’d dated freshman year.  Things really do happen for a reason.

We were pretty much inseparable the last two years of college.  He proposed In April of our senior year and we got married that summer.  We spent two years living in Europe, bought our first house in August 2009, found out I was pregnant a month later, started to get the hang of this parenting thing and decided to do it again in 2011.

Here we are, almost a decade later, a family of five, still learning about each other, still growing, still smiling, still loving, still excited about what the future holds.  I cannot imagine my life without this man.  He is my rock, my friend, my everything. Sure, life isn’t always perfect and there have been times that have taught us about patience, compassion, forgiveness, and grace.

He’s seen me at my best and at my worst and loves me anyway.  When I’m an emotional mess he’s a calming force.  When the tears won’t stop he can always make me laugh. I love that after a decade our love has only gotten stronger.  Sure, it’s not the same jittery new love filled with romantic walks and flowers but it’s deeper than that. It’s rooted in our friendship, our children, our history and our future.

He’s not perfect but hey, neither am I.  I know we’re perfect for each other.

Seven years ago today I pledged to love him for better for worse, in sickness and in health, to love him forever. Happy seven years babe! 

Here are a few lot of pictures from the last seven years.  

Engagement picture

Married!

June 16th 

First Anniversary


Europe! Rome

Luxembourg

Luxembourg

Paris

Our first house!

Expecting our first little baby

Proud parents

Fifth anniversary

First family pictures

Kenny Chesney / Zac Brown Band concert

Sixth Anniversary



Expecting baby Asher. In Austin for Rachel's wedding. 

 Proud parents (again!)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.- 1 Corinthians 13: 1-4













1 comment: