Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What I'm Thankful For


Have you heard of Ann Voskamp’s book, A Thousand Gifts? I love the idea of it- “learning how to live a life full of grace, thanksgiving and joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties. What does a Christ-life really look like when your days are gritty, long, and sometimes even dark?”  When Ann asks this I feel like she is speaking right to me.

I haven’t read the book (yet) but something keeps bringing me back to it.  I need to just go ahead and order it from Amazon.

I often I get so caught up in the daily grind that I miss the blessings that are right in front of me.  Ignoring the small gifts that make me truly happy and instead, searching for the big blessings.  You know the ones that stop you in your tracks, the ones that don’t come around very often. The ones you continually pray for.

But what about the daily blessings that are given to you without even asking?  What about the ones that are often overlooked because we are so busy just keeping up.

For a while now it’s really been on my heart to seek out these everyday blessings.  To make a conscious effort to be thankful for all I have and find joy in it all.  To overlook the struggles and frustrations and see the opportunity.

When I started making a list throughout the day of all the little things to be thankful for it amazed me how quickly the list grew…

A warm bed and safe home

A reliable job that more than pays the bills

My sweet husband who sends pictures of our daughter in the morning because I leave for work before she’s up

A long and relaxing lunch break at Panera

Knowing I am forgiven for all my sins.

Today I am thankful for an old friend I went to high school with.  We weren't ever close friends but we had a few classes together and she was always a kind, friendly person.  Through the magic of social media or maybe the grace of God, this person, who I haven’t spoken to in over ten years, sent me a message awhile back that spoke right to my heart.  Encouraging words that I desperately needed to hear and have thought of many times over the past few months. Advice that fear is a form of faith and to reject the temptation to trust in what fear says could happen.  A reminder to enjoy the gift of pregnancy and to trust in God’s plan.

What are you thankful for today?

1 comment:

  1. I have a very good friend who owns two copies of the book so she can have one in her car and one at home. She loves it SO much.
    What a great thing to remember - to be thankful. Thank you for the reminder. I have been losing perspective so much lately.

    ReplyDelete