Friday, August 5, 2011

Blogging Advice / Tips

Do you follow Kelly Stamps @ Kelly’s Korner?? She is one of a few people I “blog stalk”. Every Friday she hosts a “Show Us Your Life” link-up party. This week’s topic is blogging advice and tips. Well, I’m definitely not a super blogger who has hundreds of followers and thousands of hits each week but I am interested in reading other bloggers' tips and thought that for the few people that do follow my blog and have recently started (or are thinking about starting) a blog, you may be able to get some helpful insight and tips.

For what it’s worth, here is my two cents:

1. Blog about something you love. Whether it is your family, fashion, food, travelling, religion, etc. make sure you are passionate about it. If you are just blogging to try to attract followers or gain AdSense revenue, it can become a chore instead of a passion.

2. Get your blog printed once or twice a year. Blog2print is the best resource I’ve found. I just love the feeling of holding a book and having the little stories of our life printed.

3. Try to set a realistic blogging schedule. For me, I know that if I stopped blogging for a few weeks I would start to feel overwhelmed about catching back up. This would cause me to procrastinate and continue to put it off. So I try to keep up with it once or twice a week. This works best for me and I know everyone is different. But if you have a schedule, whether it is every day, once a week or once a month I think it is easier to keep up and not feel overwhelmed.

4. Take lots of pictures!! I know my hubby sometimes gets annoyed when I want to bring our large SLR camera with me everywhere we go but, hey, most of the events I want to remember and have pictures of don’t happen at home. So I try to bring my camera with me as often as possible. If this isn’t realistic for you, snap away with your camera phone!

5. Be real. Your blog readers are most likely be a mixture of people you know and strangers (unless your blog is private, obviously). The people in your life know you and love you (otherwise they wouldn’t want to read your blog!) so be yourself!!

6. Please, please don’t have music playing. Don’t get me wrong, I like some of the songs I hear on blogs but when I’m reading this at work (don’t tell) it can be a little awkward when Bieber comes on.


7. One last piece of advice. Don’t compare your blog to other blogs. I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy reading other peoples blogs (both friends and strangers) but I know when I started blogging I’d look at certain blogs and think, wow, she is so talented, she has so many followers, her pictures are so incredible, and on and on. It didn’t make my blog and better and it actually made me resent blogging a bit. It took me a little time to realize my blog is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. It is just right for me. And that is exactly what it should be.

Okay, I guess that’s it. Nothing too Earth-shattering here. If you do want to start a blog though, I’d highly recommend clicking on the link to Kelly’s Korner, there is sure to be someone out there with much more insightful advice. Ha!!

http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2011/08/show-us-your-life-blogging-tips.html

Have a great weekend!!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful tips! I love that they are practical and will be easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good tips! i totally get overwhelmed when i don't post frequently enough...then i procrastinate and pretend like my blog doesn't exist. :)

    btw, thanks for the sweet comment...i'm your newest follower. and your little girl is SO cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very practical tips. Love your idea on getting your blog printed. I'm a newbie to this blog world and didn't even know you could. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. Enjoyed coming across your sweet blog here in blogland. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with the music thing! It's just distracting! Thanks for all the tips & encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I especially agree with the last one. I tried for months to keep up w/ a particular big blog and actually ended up not enjoying my blog at all. I stopped following that blog out of shear boredom and now "do my own thing!" Thanks! BTW~ I notice you follow 27 & Counting... a good friend of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete